1.22.2009

A (cold) walk in the park

As a skier and snowboarder, my motto for winter sports is the faster the better! If I'm going to freeze my ass off, I better be flying down a mountain at (my) top speed on the edge of 'out-of-control'. At least that's how LinkI used to feel.

These days the pace has definitely slowed down. If skiing is like thoroughbred racing, snowshoeing is more or less a pony ride. Nevertheless, I geared up head to toe in snowboarding gear only to sport a pair of snowshoes for a leisurely walk in the Saratoga State Park with my dad and Robby. Robby got a pelican baby sled for Christmas and we were dying to take him out for a spin.

Snowshoeing may not be thrilling, but it definitely is fun in its own way. What made it even more fun was seeing Robby's wide eyes through the windshield of the sled, open with wonderment at the sight of the snow. Apparently the snow got boring after a few minutes because he pretty much napped for the entire three mile trek. Maybe Robby will be a skier or a snowboarder but these days, mama is taking the easy road and trading skis for snowshoes.


No comments: