7.27.2009

What would Einstein do? (wwed)

Now that Robby’s a year old, I have an itch to learn everything about how to raise a perfect child; how to properly discipline, keep him happy and engaged, teach him, nurture him, and I need to learn all of this stuff yesterday.

I’ve been busy surfing the internet reading reviews on the best books out there to tame my appetite for child-rearing perfection before the ship leaves and I’m standing on the shore with a screaming toddler throwing toys at my face.

Are tantrums inevitable? Is it possible to say ‘no’ too much? How many times do I have to take that sharp metal object away from Robby until he learns? Is he sticking his hand in the garbage to spite me? When will he stop laughing at me when I try to be firm with him?

Clearly my mind is swimming with questions. I asked my mom about books and she recommended a book from a doctor by the name of Fitzhugh Dodson. The book is mad old but I trust a guy with a name like Fitzhugh. That’s a no nonsense guy.
Another book that was recommended to me is called Einstein Never Used Flashcards. It gets great Amazon reviews, which typically is a good sign.
I am currently trying to make it through Dr. Fitzhugh Dodson’s 1970’s classic and then I’ll choose a more modern selection to round it out. Once I acheive child-rearing perfection, I'll let you all know the secrets. In the meantime, I'll do the best I can with my limited knowledge and hope that motherly instinct will kick in and take over!
I kind of liked flashcards as a child... granted I'm no Einstein!

4 comments:

Kara said...

My son just turned 1 in June and I'm asking myself the exact, same questions! Can't wait to see what you find out, so I can have an answer for my husband when he asks me, too!

Maggie May said...

I recommend Penelope Leech and Dr. Sears-- three kids later, there advice has been indespesable.

SaratogaMama said...

Kara, I will let you know any answers I find out!

SaratogaMama said...

Thanks for the book rec's Maggie May! I will definitely consider those.